MSU Seed Potato Certification Program
Register your 2022 seed lots here!
In Montana, certification of potatoes grown for seed is conducted by Montana State University. Certification is a voluntary program designed to encourage the production of top-quality seed potatoes through adherence to rigorous testing and inspection requirements, and through research to improve seed potato quality and testing. As part of the certification process, a multitude of functions are conducted by certification and inspection staff at MSU.
- Summer leaf testing of all early generation seed potatoes
- Winter grow-out test on all seed-lots is conducted in Hawaii
- Visual inspection of all registered fields
- Cooperation with the Montana Potato Improvement Association
- Production of pre-nuclear tissue culture plantlets and micro-tubers
- Meristem cutting of all new varieties entering Montana
- Maintenance in tissue culture of all lines grown in Montana, including growers selections
- Cooperation in national surveys for potato pests and disease
- 100% grower supported
- Cooperation with extension/outreach personnel at MSU and other universities