Registration for 2020 is Now Online! Click the Certification Database Tab on the Left to Learn More.
MSU Seed Potato Certification Program
In Montana, certification of potatoes grown for seed is conducted by Montana State University. Certification is a voluntary program designed to encourage the production of top-quality seed potatoes through adherence to rigorous testing and inspection requirements, and through research to improve seed potato quality and testing. As part of the certification process, a multitude of functions are conducted by certification and inspection staff at MSU.
- Summer leaf testing of all early generation seed potatoes
- Winter grow-out test on all seed-lots is conducted in Hawaii
- Visual inspection of all registered fields
- Cooperation with the Montana Potato Improvement Association
- Production of pre-nuclear tissue culture plantlets and micro-tubers
- Meristem cutting of all new varieties entering Montana
- Maintenance in tissue culture of all lines grown in Montana, including growers selections
- Cooperation in national surveys for potato pests and disease
- 100% grower supported
- Cooperation with extension/outreach personnel at MSU and other universities